Notes on 2020 drawings

Here are the notes from a meeting with Tim/Brenda/Dave on Tuesday 1/28/2020, to discuss the 3rd revision of Tim's drawings.

I will paste the text here, and also attach an equivalent PDF in case that is easier to access.

==========================

Notes based on the V3 revision:

DOWNSTAIRS

Master Bedroom:
- Porch, covered by cantilevered roof?

Master Toilet
- Toilet location same as in V2 (north of tub)
- enclosed with door
- shortens sink area, but that’s ok

Master sink:
- Brenda working on style; we discussed some creative ideas e.g. trough using concrete with seashells

Master bath-
- will have barn door (glass)

Master closet:
- more like the closet in V2, but no longer needs to share space with adjacent BR closet
- use the extra space gained by not having the BR closet area in the loving room
- (ok if the master closet is a little smaller as a result)
- we maybe don’t nee a door to the master closet

Art Studio:
- will have barn door (solid)
- IKEA-style closet so that we can call it a BR
- window seat ideas TBD
- may have interesting ceiling, using glass brick above

Stairs:
- as gradual riser size as is practical; ok if extra stairs needed in loft/deck/roof

Stairs Bar:
- Details still TBD
- may have step down into subfloor area for “Bar Cellar”
- Also – we like the idea of a deep subfloor (e.g. 3 feet)

Front Entry:
- may not have glass awning, so that south roof is accessible from west roof (gardener access)

Garage:
- I’m open to reducing the depth of the garage by 1 foot, and adding this foot to the Kitchen
- HVAC mechanical in garage, adjacent to front entry closet?

Mud room:
- might house an extra refrigerator or freezer (unless there’s room in pantry)
- door to outside is ok, but we considered just a wall there
Kitchen:
- We will choose a narrower island – more square-ish rather than long rectangle – maybe 8x5
- less seating at the island (maybe 2 or 3 chairs only)
- need space for a “big ass refrigerator” (TM)
- Gas stove; multi-functioning microwave (e.g. steamer, etc.)
- no trash compactor needed; just garbage/recycle
- exact kitchen layout TBD

Pantry:
- barn door (glass with etching)
- is there room for a bonus freezer in the pantry? If not, may consider
- adjacent to pantry is a buffet area or cabinets

Dining:
- we like the high-bar idea – keep the windows there
- flower garden will be outside the slider to the east setback (sheds will be north of the garden, and netting vegetable greenhouse will be south of the garden)

Family:
- 2 TVs: one on wall of 2nd Master BR, and at the corner nearest to the kitchen island (on a swivel, so that it is viewable from kitchen or family room)
- large slider door that opens up to patio

Patio:
- the L shaped “open to above” area might be smaller or bigger (still TBD)
- water feature still TBD

UPSTAIRS:

Deck:
- Is there access to the west roof area (gardener access)?
- cantilevered on the north end, extending a few feet out for rooftop bar
- the L shaped “open to below” area might be smaller or bigger (still TBD)
- stairs up should be narrow, to maximize patio area adjacent to the stairs on both sides
- Access to “3rd floor roof”?

Upstairs Office/Bath
- I’m thinking of another idea for the closet/bath layout
- I want to maximize the office space, and am thinking of pushing the closet south into the Loft area (7 feet width), so that the closet begins where the powder is in V3, and the bath/powder are moved south accordingly

- or maybe better: there is no huge closet up there, but instead IKEA-style closet for Office storage - thin closet on eastern edge of the office. With this, the shower area would be where the powder is in V3, and the powder is pushed south accordingly.
- to convert this to a true master suite, a wall or divider would be added that would extend across to the north edge of the powder

Loft/Storage
- Door might be moved between Loft and Storage (due to mechanical)
- Technical control room could be partitioned from Loft, near edge with Storage
- Access to south roof from Storage
- Access to “3rd floor roof” from Storage?
- Windows for Storage/Loft TBD

2020_01_28_MeetingNotes.pdf

You need to be a member of allylocal.com to add comments!

Join allylocal.com

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Tim -

Brenda didn't realize the window was in the pantry. We think it is OK the way it is (the small one).

Thanks-

dave

Tim Haley said:

Hi Dave - per our conversation - I increased the ceilings from 9ft to 10ft on the upper floor.   As for the window in the pantry - I think it would be fine to increase its height (just not width to preserve privacy and upper cabinets in the Pantry) - but I did revise it so it is taller.   Let me know what you think?

• Hi Dave - per our conversation - I increased the ceilings from 9ft to 10ft on the upper floor.   As for the window in the pantry - I think it would be fine to increase its height (just not width to preserve privacy and upper cabinets in the Pantry) - but I did revise it so it is taller.   Let me know what you think?

• Hi Tim -

I saw your latest drawings, which I am calling V6. Looks great - saw your change to the window seat. I didn't see the larger window in the kitchen - I think Brenda emailed that to you - she wants a larger window facing east in the kitchen.

I also looked at the southern elevation again , and I like it a lot. You can disregard my point #3 above.

thanks - talk soon -

dave

Dave Long said:

Hi Tim -

Sorry I never posted comments from the last revision, which I am calling rev 5.

Only 3 comments:

1. Brenda is wondering if you can extend the window seat to be the entire width of her Art studio room (currently it is only auout half the width). I mentioned to her that the other half would look out into the impluvium, but she likes that.

2. Brenda has some ideas about toilet placing in all 3 of the downstairs baths. I don't expect that to be a major factor at the moment.

3. We are both thinking about how the house will look like from the street. Maybe we can have a discussion about the use of the panels and other ideas about how the house will look like; the view shown in the southern elevation looks like it could be improved upon.

That's it!

Thanks-

dave

Dave Long said:

OK, thanks, Tim. Summarizing my reply to your reply:

- Barn door between Mud room and Laundry area: sounds good; maybe a glass one?

- We will discuss the roof and deck access on Sunday (Slider in the Loft for access to deck sounds perfect)

- Upstairs office: the part I am still pondering is the location of the bath. I am reasonably happy with it, but am still thinking about shifting the bath south a few feet to make more room in the office area. There's some loss of symmetry (with the downstairs bath) and maybe some other downsides to this. I will let you talk me out of this idea on Sunday :-)

thanks-

D

Tim Haley said:

See reply below... in Italics

I am completely happy with the ground floor, with only one question: the door between the mud room and laundry room - did we discuss that being a barn door? I'm wondering if we need any door at all there.

Since the Mud Room is directly off of the Entry you will find that sometimes the Mud Room Door will be left open since you guys will use it a lot going in and out of the garage and you don't want a clear visual into the Laundry Room so I think the Barn door is a good option.

I still do have some comments/thoughts about the 2nd floor. At one point you mentioned being able to "bridge" from the loft to the rooftop deck. I would like that - keeping the bigger L opening between the house and the deck, but having a bridge-like access from the Loft. With the bigger L opening, the deck around the impluvium is pretty tight; I'm still looking at this, but having access from the Loft would be a big win if it is doable.

I increased the cantiliver over Brenda's window seat so you can more easily go from the deck to the roof over the bedrooms.   Looking at the bridge concept further from the loft doesn't actually work because of head clearance coming up the stairs and you already have the ability to go down to the landing then back up to the roof.

EDIT - I am simplifying how you get the bedroom roof and deck by just adding a slider to Loft - we can go over this in the next meeting

I am reasonably happy with the upstairs office, with the closet being an IKEA-style closet. I am still pondering that space though.

How you implement the IKEA closets is up to you (its flexible)

That's all for now - please let me know when you're free to meet with Mike & I - thanks-

Sunday is the earliest so let me know what works for you guys?  Let's me at my house as well since Mike hasn't seen it yet.

• Hi Tim -

Sorry I never posted comments from the last revision, which I am calling rev 5.

Only 3 comments:

1. Brenda is wondering if you can extend the window seat to be the entire width of her Art studio room (currently it is only auout half the width). I mentioned to her that the other half would look out into the impluvium, but she likes that.

2. Brenda has some ideas about toilet placing in all 3 of the downstairs baths. I don't expect that to be a major factor at the moment.

3. We are both thinking about how the house will look like from the street. Maybe we can have a discussion about the use of the panels and other ideas about how the house will look like; the view shown in the southern elevation looks like it could be improved upon.

That's it!

Thanks-

dave

Dave Long said:

OK, thanks, Tim. Summarizing my reply to your reply:

- We will discuss the roof and deck access on Sunday (Slider in the Loft for access to deck sounds perfect)

- Upstairs office: the part I am still pondering is the location of the bath. I am reasonably happy with it, but am still thinking about shifting the bath south a few feet to make more room in the office area. There's some loss of symmetry (with the downstairs bath) and maybe some other downsides to this. I will let you talk me out of this idea on Sunday :-)

thanks-

D

Tim Haley said:

I am completely happy with the ground floor, with only one question: the door between the mud room and laundry room - did we discuss that being a barn door? I'm wondering if we need any door at all there.

Since the Mud Room is directly off of the Entry you will find that sometimes the Mud Room Door will be left open since you guys will use it a lot going in and out of the garage and you don't want a clear visual into the Laundry Room so I think the Barn door is a good option.

I still do have some comments/thoughts about the 2nd floor. At one point you mentioned being able to "bridge" from the loft to the rooftop deck. I would like that - keeping the bigger L opening between the house and the deck, but having a bridge-like access from the Loft. With the bigger L opening, the deck around the impluvium is pretty tight; I'm still looking at this, but having access from the Loft would be a big win if it is doable.

I increased the cantiliver over Brenda's window seat so you can more easily go from the deck to the roof over the bedrooms.   Looking at the bridge concept further from the loft doesn't actually work because of head clearance coming up the stairs and you already have the ability to go down to the landing then back up to the roof.

EDIT - I am simplifying how you get the bedroom roof and deck by just adding a slider to Loft - we can go over this in the next meeting

I am reasonably happy with the upstairs office, with the closet being an IKEA-style closet. I am still pondering that space though.

That's all for now - please let me know when you're free to meet with Mike & I - thanks-

Sunday is the earliest so let me know what works for you guys?  Let's me at my house as well since Mike hasn't seen it yet.

• OK, thanks, Tim. Summarizing my reply to your reply:

thanks-

D

Tim Haley said:

• See reply below... in Italics

• Hi Tim -

Revision 4 is the best yet!

dave

• Reply below in Italics

Notes based on the V3 revision:

DOWNSTAIRS

Master Bedroom:
    - Porch, covered by cantilevered roof?

Now shown to cantilever 6ft

Master Toilet
    - Toilet location same as in V2 (north of tub)
    - enclosed with door
    - shortens sink area, but that’s ok

Done

Master sink:
    - Brenda working on style; we discussed some creative ideas e.g. trough using concrete with seashells

Yep this will be a fun piece :)

Master bath-
    - will have barn door (glass)

agreed - note it shifted slightly

Master closet:
    - more like the closet in V2, but no longer needs to share space with adjacent BR closet
    - use the extra space gained by not having the BR closet area in the loving room
    - (ok if the master closet is a little smaller as a result)
    - we maybe don’t nee a door to the master closet

More space given to Living area per our meeting

Art Studio:
    - will have barn door (solid)
    - IKEA-style closet so that we can call it a BR
    - window seat ideas TBD
    - may have interesting ceiling, using glass brick above

Done

Stairs:
    - as gradual riser size as is practical; ok if extra stairs needed in loft/deck/roof

We will revisit this with the elevations and ceiling plan

Stairs Bar:
    - Details still TBD
    - may have step down into subfloor area for “Bar Cellar”
    - Also – we like the idea of a deep subfloor (e.g. 3 feet)

Agreed

Front Entry:
    - may not have glass awning, so that south roof is accessible from west roof (gardener access)

Done

Garage:
    - I’m open to reducing the depth of the garage by 1 foot, and adding this foot to the Kitchen
    - HVAC mechanical in garage, adjacent to front entry closet?

Done

Mud room:
    - might house an extra refrigerator or freezer (unless there’s room in pantry)
    - door to outside is ok, but we considered just a wall there

Added extra Ref./Freez to Laundry (not enough room in Mud Room)

Kitchen:
    - We will choose a narrower island – more square-ish rather than long rectangle – maybe 8x5

Done

- less seating at the island (maybe 2 or 3 chairs only)

Done

- need space for a “big ass refrigerator” (TM)

Currently same as ours at 48" (+ you have one in Laundry now)

- Gas stove; multi-functioning microwave (e.g. steamer, etc.)
    - no trash compactor needed; just garbage/recycle
    - exact kitchen layout TBD

Sounds good

Pantry:
    - barn door (glass with etching)

Done

- is there room for a bonus freezer in the pantry? If not, may consider

Added under counter refr/ freeze on both sides (or wine one side)

- adjacent to pantry is a buffet area or cabinets

Per above

Dining:
    - we like the high-bar idea – keep the windows there
    - flower garden will be outside the slider to the east setback (sheds will be north of the garden, and netting vegetable greenhouse will be south of the garden)

Sounds Good

Family:
    - 2 TVs: one on wall of 2nd Master BR, and at the corner nearest to the kitchen island (on a swivel, so that it is viewable from kitchen or family room)
    - large slider door that opens up to patio

Done

Patio:
    - the L shaped “open to above” area might be smaller or bigger (still TBD)
    - water feature still TBD

Done

UPSTAIRS:

Deck:
    - Is there access to the west roof area (gardener access)?

Yes small connection between deck and roof next to stair above Art studio

- cantilevered on the north end, extending a few feet out for rooftop bar

Cantilevered 3ft

- the L shaped “open to below” area might be smaller or bigger (still TBD)

Modified Bigger

- stairs up should be narrow, to maximize patio area adjacent to the stairs on both sides
    - Access to “3rd floor roof”?

Yes

Upstairs Office/Bath
    - I’m thinking of another idea for the closet/bath layout
    - I want to maximize the office space, and am thinking of pushing the closet south into the Loft area (7 feet width), so that the closet begins where the powder is in V3, and the bath/powder are moved south accordingly

- or maybe better: there is no huge closet up there, but instead IKEA-style closet for Office storage - thin closet on eastern edge of the office. With this, the shower area would be where the powder is in V3, and the powder is pushed south accordingly.
    - to convert this to a true master suite, a wall or divider would be added that would extend across to the north edge of the powder

My suggestion would be to keep it as designed for flexibility but remove the walk in closet and just add two IKEA closets (or keep it open)

Loft/Storage
    - Door might be moved between Loft and Storage (due to mechanical)
    - Technical control room could be partitioned from Loft, near edge with Storage
    - Access to south roof from Storage
    - Access to “3rd floor roof” from Storage?
    - Windows for Storage/Loft TBD

Sounds good we'll work on this more...

This reply was deleted.
google-site-verification=wLfGnbtX8dngPdp2s-cVs-seE_1oaDtuyXB-r0jf5mE